Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Week 2 Comment #2 - Kristi Swartz



Kristi's Post:

Wk 2 Readings Blog 1

My Contribution
I love Zander’s idea that a leader does not doubt peoples’ abilities to do what it is they are to do. As I look at education I ask, What if all teachers believed in the abilities of all of their students? How would education change? Stop thinking about everything along the way, and see the big picture. Have a vision, a long line, and see it through! How would education change?

Zander’s video on Ted was moving and showed the connection possible for classical music through Zander’s determination and perception. His connection to the conductor as a person to make others powerful, and make others feel it is possible. I loved his question: Who am I being if my children’s eyes are not shining? I hope to take this and use it in the classroom. I want a classroom with children’s eyes shining.

The idea of enhancing our quality of life and the quality of life for those around us as we have the power is really meaningful to me. I think this year has been eye opening for me as I look and understand perception and the big part it plays in each of our version of reality. I have looked at this through my Masters courses, my own Bible study, through the students I teach, and now this book. It is amazing how life opens something up to us, and we see it all around. I see this as the power of God. In this book, I feel the importance of perception and I love thinking about how our brains constructs our reality, and how that reality is just ours, we can not know if it is the reality that is real, or created, because our brain constructs our own thoughts. The idea of it all being a story we tell, can change our own thoughts about every situation. For me, the closer I become to God, the more I want his will, this leads me try to be a better person, think about others feelings, and desire good. I love the idea in the book of setting the context and letting life unfold.

I loved the thoughts on giving an A, not just in the classroom but also in the everyday world. It is so true that we measure everyone according to a standard measure. When we can believe everyone has a unique gift to share, and that not all of us have the same gift, we can begin to accept and love people for who they are, learn from their gifts, and accept their differences, as well. I love the idea of giving A’s, looking at what is great about this person I meet that I can learn from, rather than comparing them to a standard measure I set.

I love the question, what did you achieve today becoming, how did I contribute today? So now I ask this of myself…How did I contribute today?

My Response:

Kristi,

These blogging assignments are great as we can really open up with our discoveries with these awakening experiences. I can really relate with you on the idea on enhancing the quality of the lives of other people. I am amazed with my experience at Full Sail too and I think I will have some withdrawals when it’s over. The readings and video this week are so powerful especially when Zander plays the song from Chopin and says to imagine a loved one so we can know what Chopin meant when he wrote the song. Sometimes experiences like that become almost indescribable and to imagine if we can make someone feel like that is on a higher level I cant even think of. When I write music for instance, I become so inspired when someone says my music made them feel something. It’s like receiving the best gift in the world.

0 comments:

Post a Comment